Friday, June 5, 2015

Through the Looking Glass

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls.”
—  Ted Grant Canadian Photographer

 I read this quote and thought about what people think of when they think of souls. What immediately come to my mind is the eyes. It is a commons saying that the eyes are the window to our souls. When was the last time that you really looked into someones eye? We see so many different sets eyes everyday. What would we see if we look harder and longer? If you see a photograph of a eye in black in white and not distracted by the color you will purely see their soul? So I took my camera in hopes to capture a soul in a photograph.

Photographer: Abbie Mansel

12 comments:

  1. Hmm, this is a very interesting post! I have never thought about how we as a people can photograph everything we want others to see, but emotion is shown through the eyes. And I have to say, it is hard for me to read people's souls through their eyes. But I do look into people's eyes all the time when I talk to them. But I am so good at hiding and faking emotion through my facial expressions I am afraid others are too. So I never really pick up on a person's emotion unless it is just very blatant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like everything it takes practice. Some people don't like looking people in the eye which is perfectly fine.

      Delete
  2. Cool post. I definitely look to the eyes to tune in to other peoples emotions. The eyes are indeed the window to the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eyes, they speak volumes for sure. I feel like I can drown when I look into my kids eyes in pictures. I also can tell when they just have their 'I am smiling only for the camera' and the smile doesn't go to their eyes. My husband and I after 24 years can also convey whole conversations without uttering a single word. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A true smile comes from the eyes not your mouth.

      Delete
  6. I love this quote even more so I love this post. The eyes can tell you so much about a person before the person says one word. It's definitely the looking glass window to the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the quote too. It really goes well with photography.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting. I think you are on to something. I love the quote too!

    ReplyDelete